Saturday, April 23, 2011

Back in Monterrey

I was in Mexico City for three weeks and I must say that I had no desire to return to Monterrey.  But opposite to what I would have loved to do, I got on a plane and now I'm back in the boring and scary city of Monterrey.  While in mexico city I spent my time relaxing and preparing myself for the last three weeks I have to be in Monterrey. Three more weeks and I am free and never to step foot back in this city.

Being back in Mexico city was nice.  After being in Monterrey for three months and finally getting out of there, I realized how unhappy I am in Monterrey.  Mexico City is definitely better than Monterrey but does not compare to Healdsburg.  I am more than ready to be back home and finally be able to se my family and friends.  I visited Coyoacan many times while I was back in Mexico City because it is one of the only places in Mexico where I feel somewhat comfortable.  I was able relax in Mexico city, as crazy as that sounds, but even with 20 million people around me, it is less stressful than being in Monterrey.  In Coyoacan and in Condesa (Anna's area) I was able to go on walks when I need to clear my mind without having to worry about my safety.  Just that alone was really helpful after I was robbed.  It helped me relax and remind me that I don't have to be worried about my safety 24/7.  Physically I am doing much better.  My ribs are the only thing that bother me now.  Its been 3 weeks since I was attacked so the pain is not as bad but definitely still there.  The bruising on my ribs and face are gone along with the scratches I had on my cheek, arm, and neck.  I am really glad Emma insisted I go down to Mexico City because now I feel much better emotionally and can feel I can power through the last of my time in Monterrey .  I do not know how I would have done if I had stayed in Monterrey.  Like Emma said, I would have probably beeen a basket case.

After I was robbed and beaten, our lawyer sent in a request for an expedited waiver appointment.  She was told that the consulate was not going to send a request for an expedited appointment to the USCIS because request for expedited appointments are only considered for active duty military applicants or for serious medical illnesses.  I guess being robbed at knife point, a fractured rib, and a concussion don't count.

The waiver appointment will be on June 7th like planned.  Right now I am working on updating and making our hardship letter as strong as possible.  We will have 15-20 minutes to convince the USCIS officer reviewing out case that Emma needs me home so this letter and the supporting documents are my number one priority from now to June 7th.

-Jose

No comments:

Post a Comment