Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Visit: Day 2 and 3

Day two was short. We tried to go to Xochimilco, the floating gardens, but didn’t manage the 1 ½ hour subway ride. Anna was still feeling sick from the night before, and almost fainted on the train, so we went back to the hotel. The rest of the day we stayed in the hotel resting or taking short walks around the Zocalo area.

The next day we went to Coyoacan for our first day of apartment searching. We got there early in the morning, ate breakfast, and started walking. Jose and I had noticed before that there weren’t any real estate offices in Coyoacan, so we didn’t know how to find an apartment without walking down all the streets in search of “For Rent” signs. We ended the day feeling good about the one apartment we had viewed, although that one didn’t end up working out.

I had told my family before they came that Mexican food in Mexico was disappointing. They didn’t believe me then, but by the third day they were starting to admit that I was right. We tried food from vendors on the street, diners, and fancy restaurants, but no meal was outstanding. Jose and I have preferred to make our own food in Mexico because we don’t enjoy the food in restaurants. I don’t know if it isn’t as good because of lower quality ingredients or different flavors, but the food has not been very satisfying in any place we have visited. I much prefer the Mexican food in California to the Mexican food in Mexico, and because I was expecting even better food here its been a big disappointment.

The trip had a slow start because we were all tired and slightly sick in the beginning, but we still had a lot of fun and appreciated finally being together again.

-Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment