Friday, December 4, 2009

I want clean and green

Last night I had a small meltdown, because I realized I don't have any idea when I last saw a tree. Or a garden. I am used to Healdsburg with trees everywhere, and now I don't even know where the nearest tree would be. I have always appreciated trees more than almost anything else in nature, and it is a huge loss to not have them here.

Besides not having trees, everything in our neighborhood is gray. Houses are made from cement, and it is rarely painted in this area. There is so much dust it can actually be seen blowing down the street like mist. Then it settles and gives everything a dull grayish brown tone.

I couldn't sleep until about 3 am last night, because every time I closed my eyes I saw images of Sonoma County. Mostly I saw my family's forest ranch in Healdsburg, and the clean streets and many trees of the town. It had forgotten how beautiful and different it is from here.

I had no idea how depressing it would be to live in a cement and dust world. I honestly feel like leaving Mexico City for a few days, just to find a town with trees and nature still surviving. Mexico City has a lot to offer, but our area of Chimaluacan doesn't have much going for it besides relative safety and family.

I was sure last night that I had to leave Mexico City. I was sure I could not live here, and I needed to find a clean town with trees. While that would be amazing, I don't think it is the best option. Giving up trees and cleanliness will be better than giving up family and everything there is to do in Mexico City. The same night I decided I couldn't live here, Jose decided he is going to start school here at UNAM in September. He has finally gotten excited about something, and I'm not going to take that away for trees.

Even though it is tough to live in Mexico City, it can be good. We are going to keep working on it until it is good and we are happy. I know that can happen.

-Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment