Friday, December 4, 2009

We're Home!

We are kind of home. At least, we now have a home in Mexico and can say "let's go home" instead of "let's go to your aunt's house." Oh my goodness, I can't wait for it all to be put together. But I'm going to have to, because that is going to take some work.

Our apartment is next door (shares a wall, actually) to Jose's aunt's house. The building has 6 apartments, but only Sergio and Maribel and Maribel's grandmother and cousin live in two of the apartments. Maribel's grandmother owns the building. The rent is only going to be 75 U.S. dollars a month. Our apartment is off a pretty nice patio, and will be off a beautiful patio when I get to fill it with plants. The apartment has one bedroom, a living room, kitchen, and bathroom. It is spacious and has lots of potential. Now, however, it doesn't go beyond that. It hasn't been lived in for years, the floor is dirty cement, and the paint is faded and dirty. We're on it though.

Today we went out and bought the paint, and hope to start painting on Sunday. The apartment can be a little dark, so our plan is to paint one wall in each room with color and use cream on the other walls. I am thinking about using some sort of chair rail to give some variety to each room. The bedroom will have purple, because I have always wanted a purple room and this is the perfect opportunity. The living room will be royal blue, and the kitchen will be green. With fresh paint and colors I love, the apartment should look a lot better.

Next week, when we are done painting, we are going to have floor put in. It will be a cheap, fake, light-colored wood linoleum. It is only 4 dollars per square meter, and includes free installation. It is easy, cheap, and might even end up looking nice.

I am eager to see the apartment with new paint and flooring. This is really going to be our apartment because we are starting with just a basic, dirty apartment. I am sure it will look totally different and clean when we have all the ugliness covered. We will have created a space for ourselves, and I think we will finally feel like we have a home away from home.

I am very excited about this project, and will be writing about it all the time. I am looking forward to having an apartment and getting to decorate it, but I think much of the excitement comes from what this means. It means we won't just be waiting anymore. We are accepting what has been given to us, and making it work the best we can. I really need that.

Good things are going to start happening!
-Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment